Sunday, February 15, 2009

Back with a Sunday Dinner


We had a real traditional Sunday dinner tonight. I had been craving my favourite unturkey dinner with all of the trimmings. I decided to give the Tofurky roast another try since I found it for 10% off at Sobey's. I have not had one of these since the first Thanksgiving I became vegan over 4 years ago. I have to admit it was not bad. A little pricey but there was enough for 2 meals for the two of us so overall not too badly priced. I roasted it with some red potatoes and carrots. I made a side of homemade cranberry sauce (cranberries, maple syrup and water) and homemade stuffing (bread cubes, celery, onions, veggie stock, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary and fresh sage) and a simple gravy (veggie stock, flour, earth balance and miso). This really hit the spot!

For dessert I made a cake and pudding. The original recipe comes from the green vegan cookbook from Sarah Kramer I believe. On the side I made homemade vanilla ice cream. I have to admit this was the best ice cream to come out of my Cuisinart ice cream maker. It was so simple to make and probably cost under 4.00 for the whole batch. The recipe was based on the one in Veganomicon (1 can of coconut milk, 1/2 box of silken tofu, 3/4 cup sugar and 1 tbsp vanilla)



Here is what is left of the rich and yummy ice cream.



Later in the evening we could not resist making Root Beer floats since we could not remember the last time we had some. The taste was so smooth and creamy. Definitely going to bed with full bellies tonight... :)

No comments: