Sunday, May 2, 2010

Steel Cut Oats

There is something about a nice bowl of steaming oatmeal that brings me back to my childhood. It is one of the few memories I have with my grandparents...sitting on my grandpa's lap eating oatmeal. Obviously very oblivious to what the true form of oats are I never knew that the old fashioned oatmeal I ate was so processed. It is cut, cooked and then flattened and then processed again. It still is very nutritious but then I discovered Steel Cut Oats and my mornings changed. This is the form of oatmeal I remember. It takes longer to cook but it makes a much creamier bowl of oatmeal.
I searched the internet for a rice cooker recipe for my Steel Cut Oats. Most advised the same thing...add 1 part steel cut oats to 3 parts water and let them soak overnight. I tried this and it took about 45 minutes in the rice cooker the next morning. I don't have a fancy rice cooker with all of the settings on it or anything like that but the oatmeal came out perfect. It made 2 huge servings. The next morning I heated up my second serving with an extra cup of water on the stove and it turned out perfect again.
I wonder if I can make oatmeal in the pressure cooker...

No comments: