Thursday, October 30, 2008

Maple Baked Beans

I was reading someone else's blog the other day who made a big batch of maple-apple baked beans. So, I started thinking...I have a million pounds of dried pintos in the cupboard just waiting to be soaked and it has been forever since I have had baked beans. So, I decided to experiment. I started by soaking 2 cups of pintos overnight, then cooked them in the pressure cooker. I sliced up one large onion really thin, threw those and the cooked beans into a crockpot. I added about 3/4 cup of maple syrup (which I can cut down to 1/4-1/2 cup next time), 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 1 small can of tomato paste and about 4 tbsp of dried mustard powder. Cooked it on high for about 3 hours then on low for another 2 hours. This was the result. I must admit that I liked them very much. I ended up cutting up some Tofurky chipotle hot dogs I had in the freezer to make beans and weenies and made some garlic toast on the side. Yummy...

No comments: