Saturday, June 7, 2008

New editions to the home

I have been MIA for most of the week since I have not been home to cook meals. We have been eating leftover lasagna all week which just gets more and more amazing as the flavours are left to develop in the fridge. Reminds me that I should make lasagna more often. So, finally after waiting a whole year I got my ice cream maker! Well this is the second one actually since the first one had a screw loose (who knew!?) so it had to be sent back.

The ice cream is amazing in this thing. So simple to make and the price of making it is at least 1/2 of the cost of buying a small tub of vegan ice cream in stores.

This was my first recipe:

Double Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream

2 cups Silk soy cream
2 cups soy milk
2 tbsp organic tapioca starch
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
7 Dark Chocolate Truffle Cookies, chopped

Heat soy cream and 1 3/4 cups of the soy milk with the sugar in a pot on medium heat. Mix the remainder 1/4 cup of soy milk with the starch. Bring to a boil and then add the tapioca slurry. Let boil for 1 minute and then take off heat. Add chocolate chips and vanilla and whisk it. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 3 days. Add ingredients to ice cream maker and add cookies right at the end (around 5 minutes before it is done)

Addition #2 is my little organic Basil plant form Wiens Organic Farm. They did not have much of a selection and I did not want to go empty handed so I bought him. Wish me luck with his prosperity.



No comments: