Friday, September 12, 2008

I am finally back...with homemade pasta sauce!



Wow with summer nearing an end I am back in the kitchen cooking. I really missed it but really could not bear to turn the oven on during those hot summer days. My parents brought me tons of tomatoes so I wanted to make a pasta sauce. This is based on a version of a recipe I ripped out of a magazine at the doctor's office (shhhhh!!! it will be our little secret). It is so easy to follow and the results are amazing. This sauce tastes even better when it is heated the second time around.

Homemade Pasta Sauce
20 tomatoes (approximately)
4 onions, chopped
2 cans of Tomato Paste (5.5 oz each)
10 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt

1. Remove skin from tomatoes (mark x at bottom, boil 1 minute and put in ice bath for 2 minutes and skins falls right off)
2. Chop up the onions and garlic. Sautee them in the olive oil in a large pot for about 15 minutes.
3. Chop up all of the tomatoes, keeping all of their juices
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and spices to the pot. Bring to a boil
5. Simmer over med-low heat with lead mostly on but not tight for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
6. Enjoy!

No comments: