Monday, April 28, 2008

Buffalo Tofu and Vegetable Pancakes

I absolutely loved tonight's meal. It was pretty simple for the most part to make, just required a bit of prep work. For the tofu, I cut it up into slices, browned it in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes, flipping once. The sauce was 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce and 1/3 cup Earth Balance. Once the tofu was done in the oven, I finished them off in a hot frying pan by pouring the sauce on them and letting it reduce for about 6 minutes.

For the patties, I grated up one medium zucchini, 1 medium sweet potato, 1 onion, and 1 potato. I squeezed out as much of the juice as I could and then added, salt and pepper, 2 tbsp ground flax seed and about 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to bind. They were amazing. Jam packed full of vegetable goodness. I cooked them on my griddle with no oil so there was no added fat to them. I will definitely be making these again.

Here they are cooking on the griddle, browning up nicely.


For dessert I revamped my Oatmeal coconut cookies and call these Oatmeal everything cookies. I even managed to cut out half the fat by using applesauce instead. Next time, I am going to push it even more and see if I can reduce another 1/4 cup of oil


Oatmeal Everything Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil (I used canola this time)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used sucanat)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (regular not quick cooking)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 375. Mix soy milk with vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to thicken. Add applesauce, oil and sugar and whisk to mix. In a separate bowl mix together remaining dry ingredients. Add wet to dry. Stir. I used an ice cream scoop (half filled) to measure these out onto 2 half pans. Bake for 12 minutes, remove from oven and place on cookies sheet immediately. This recipe makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.

No comments: