Sunday, May 18, 2008

Very Special Dinner for Mom and Dad

Mom and Dad came over tonight and we celebrated both of their birthdays. I wanted to make them a fancy meal so I started preparing this one days ago. It is a mixture of grains, shitake mushrooms, yams, onions, collards and spices in wrapped in a filo dough with an onion, shitake mushroom and corn fumee sauce to go with it. I served a nice salad on the side. I love making this because once the filling is prepared it is so easy to assemble. I even froze half of the mixture for next time. This is my second time using whole wheat filo dough and it turned out way better this time. It did not dry out extremely quickly and tasted amazing.
Fancy presentation with parsley
Salad with red leaf lettuce, cranberries, tomatoes, pepitas and carrots. I made a side of dressing with some mustard, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup for sweetness.
I also made some olive bread. It was a hit.
Filo wraps hot out of the oven.

No comments: