Thursday, March 20, 2008

Seitan "Ham" with all the Trimmings

I am not sure why but I have been craving a nice slow cooked meal all week and this was the first day I had enough time to commit to it. This seitan turned out perfect and I love this recipe. I got it from Bryanna Clark Grogan's Vegan Feast Newsletter. It slices perfectly and even turns out a little stringy which I like. It takes a while to cook in the oven though...around 4 1/2 hours. I paired it with roasted potatoes, edemame, stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce.
The roast when it came out of the oven.


Homemade Cranberry Sauce
once you make it from scratch you will never go back to canned again!
1 bag cranberries
1 cup water or cranberry juice
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp orange zest
Mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer until cranberries explode and it thickens (15-30 minutes). Cool down and serve.

No comments: