Sunday, March 9, 2008

Seitan Sunday Dinner

I have been wanting to try out this recipe for Vegan Roast Beef for a while now but used the last of my vital wheat gluten last week. I managed to find about a cups worth so I halved the recipe and hoped for the best. It turned out nice but I wish it could turn out like the very first time I made seitan in the oven, not spongy but stringy. I will definitely make this again but next time make a full recipe. I served it with mashed potatoes (russet potatoes cubed with skin on, boiled for about 10 minutes, mashed and rice milk added), steamed broccoli, homemade bread and gravy. I think I want to start making seitan dinners every Sunday.

Simple Gravy
1 cup "beef" stock
1 tbsp earth balance
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp miso (I used brown rice miso)
1 tbsp tamari
1 tsp dijon mustard

Add all ingredients except earth balance and flour to the stock. Make a roux by melting the earth balance then adding the flour and stirring constantly for a few minutes to cook the flour. Slowly add in the stock mixture whisking vigorously. Voila simple gravy that has a nice taste to it.


Here is a picture of the seitan loaf as it came out of the oven.

No comments: